One of two blogs this week is here! This blog is going to be on some of the main touristy spots to hit in San Francisco, California. San Francisco is one of those cities that has really so much to discover and explore. Growing up close to the Bay Area, I have had many trips to San Francisco yet there is still so much that I have yet to uncover here. This city is filled with art, music, history, shopping, and is truly a foodie’s paradise. It is no secret that I am not a city girl, but I must say a day trip or weekend trip to the city is actually a good time. Unfortunately, the city has gotten dirtier and with the current times with the global pandemic, it is not quite the same. However, I am here to focus on the positive, not the negative in San Francisco. As I said before, there is SO MUCH to do and see in San Francisco, so there is only so much that I will be able to cover in this week’s blog. I am mainly going to focus on things to do while you’re in the city. Honestly, I am not going to touch on food and restaurants to try while you’re in San Francisco because I think that is literally meant for an entire blog on it’s own. Thanks for reading!
What to do?
- Visit Alcatraz: I mean I had to put this one first because this is actually something that I have never done before, but I have always been DYING to do. There are several tours that you can do in order to explore Alcatraz. Some are just boat tours that can take you around the island, other’s will take you actually in the prison. One specific tour takes you to explore the prison at night and that sounds so creepy yet so cool… I wanna do it so bad!! You know yourself, if you’re interested in visiting Alcatraz, research the various tours and pick which one will work best for you and your interests.
- Outside Lands: Another thing that I had to put at the top of my list because yet again, I am DYING to do this (especially after this past year). In case you don’t know what Outside Lands is, it is a three day music festival in San Francisco that really has a wide variety of music genres. I have never been, yet I would look at the lineup every year and regret not going to it. Definitely a vibe and definitely something I will be attending in the near future.
- Golden Gate Bridge: I feel like this is just an iconic spot that you have to at least see when you are visiting San Francisco. If you’re going to do it, I either recommend walking or driving across it. Be prepared to pay for a ticket-driving across it though!
- Palace of Fine Arts Theatre: This is just a beautiful place to visit. If you are looking for a beautiful scenery, great photo-op, art… this is a place to check out!
- Fisherman’s Warf & Pier 39: Another classic tourist spot that is a must for all you San Francisco first-timers. Honestly, I’ve been here way too many times but it is still one of my favorite places to go to. while I am visiting the city. I love being by the ocean, seeing the marine life, street artists, shops, and restaurants.
- Haight-Ashbury: This is a cool place to visit for funky shops and buildings. Honestly, it’s a really cool and laidback spot to visit in San Francisco.
- Lands End: This is a great lookout spot and hiking place to try while you’re in San Francisco. Believe it or not, there is some nature to see and explore here.
- Mission Dolores Park: If you’re looking for a place to chill with friends and have a nice outdoor picnic, this is a good place to go.
- Ride a Cable Car: SO touristy, but so fun. I mean c’mon… how could you not ride a cable car while you are visiting San Francisco? So classic.
- Union Square: Again, so touristy… but we’re all a little bit of tourists, aren’t we? If you are looking to literally “shop till you drop” this is a pretty great place to start.
- Golden Gate Park: Yet another great place to go for beautiful outdoor scenery and museums to explore. Two of the main attractions that I recommend going to are the San Francisco Botanical Garden and the Japanese Tea Garden.
- Baker Beach: There are several beaches to visit in San Francisco, however, what makes this one unique is the view that you get of the Golden Gate Bridge. Fair warning: it is a nude beach, there is a 100% chance that I did see nude people during my visit there.
- Presidio of San Francisco: A former military base that is now a National Park. This is another great spot for a beautiful view, historic walking areas, and even some restaurants.
- Nob Hill: I must say, this is such a cute spot to have some great food. In particular, there is a very yummy Italian restaurant that I use to love going to.
- See a Show: I mean there are so many different venues to see music and artistic performances, it really just is your preference. Whatever you’re into, whether that be live music, poetry, theatre, etc. there are venues for it. Do your research!
- Museums: Just like my “See a Show” topic, this is another point that I can’t narrow down to just one museum and nor do I want to list all of the museums that are here in San Francisco. To just name a couple, there is the classic Ice Cream Museum that you probably have seen all over Instagram, and the Walt Disney Family Museum.
- Twin Peaks: If we want to talk about an incredible viewing spot, this is it. From the top of Twin Peaks, you can literally see the entire city from here.
- Oracle Park: If you are into sports, specifically baseball, this is the place to go. Home to the San Francisco Giants Baseball team. Ironically, I have never gone to a game here, but I have walked/driven by it a bunch of times.